DIY IT Asset Disposition is Never Worth the Risk. You Know Why?
From the looks of it, IT asset disposition (ITAD) of your decommissioned assets may seem like a piece of cake. Just task the responsibility to your IT guys, assuming they get the work done, and voila! Mission accomplished. Right? Wrong. That’s a script from Hollywood. In the reality that we live in, ITAD is a far more entangled affair. The slew of government and environmental regulations, coupled with the risk of costly data breaches ensures, the average organization has a complex crossword to figure out. For any company pondering an own IT refresh, ensure you do take an honest look at the capabilities of your operation. You would be putting your organization at risk unless the answer to the following questions is an unequivocal ‘Yes’:
- Are you familiar with the specifics of the regulations that govern electronically stored data?
- Are you aware of all disposition channels that are regulated, certified, and audited by the EPA?
- Are you 100 percent sure that your company has and knows how to use the right data erasure software?
- Are you confident your IT team is up to the task of wiping hard drives clean, as well as memory storage systems? Can you place faith in them to remarket or recycle the excess inventory in line with all regulations while at the same time recovering ROI?
- Lawsuits filed by aggrieved parties
- Tarnished reputation
- Falling stock prices