How To Write a Personal Mission Statement and Why?
If you want to be a highly effective person you need to start with developing your personal mission statement or philosophy. What is personal mission statement? It focuses on what you want to be (character) and to do (contributions and achievements) and on the values or principles upon which being and doing are based. Because each individual is unique, a personal mission statement will reflect that uniqueness, both in content and form.
In The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey his friend Rolfe Kerr, has expressed his personal creed in this way:
- Succeed at home first.
- Seek and merit divine help.
- Never compromise with honesty.
- Remember the people involved.
- Hear both sides before judging.
- Obtain counsel of others.
- Defend those who are absent.
- Be sincere yet decisive.
- Develop one new proficiency a year.
- Plan tomorrow’s work today.
- Hustle while you wait.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Keep a sense of humor.
- Be orderly in person and in work.
- Do not fear mistakes—fear only the absence of creative, constructive, and corrective responses to those mistakes. Facilitate the success of subordinates.
- Listen twice as much as you speak.
- Concentrate all abilities and efforts on the task at hand, not worrying about the next job or promotion.
Once you have that sense of mission, you have the essence of your own proactivity. You have the vision and the values which direct your life. You have the basic direction from which you set your long- and short-term goals. You have the power of a written constitution based on correct principles, against which every decision concerning the most effective use of your time, your talents, and your energies can be effectively measured.
Posted base on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey.
Victor Gichun is a VP Marketing at Excess Logic, the company, that helps businesses to dispose of and remarket excess equipment and IT assets and return 300% more value.
Call us today at 650-307-7553 to try our One Stop Solution and learn how we can consistently triple your return on investment in equipment and IT assets.