Why Aren’t All Recycling Companies Same?

Why Aren’t All Recycling Companies Same?

Prior to surplus equipment liquidation or e-waste recycling make sure that your recycling company work in compliance with Federal and State regulations.

You’ve responsibly recycled your electronics with Excess Logic! Now what happens to them? Excess Logic is able to re-use and re-sell 80% of the electronics we receive. The other 20% are recycled using only R2 and E-Steward Certified vendors, but what do these certifications mean?

Computer recycling San Jose, Milpitas, Santa Clara, Fremont, Sunnyvale

R2 Background

The EPA began tackling the e-waste crisis in 2008 by developing the “Responsible Recycling practices for Use in Accredited Certifications Programs” or R2. This program was intended to promote best practices while providing potential customers with valuable insight.

In 2013 R2 was updated by the R2 Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).  This update is intended to improve the quality of the certification and provide additional best practices. R2:2013 went into effect January 1st of this year with R2:2008 certifications no longer recognized.   (http://www.sustainableelectronics.org/history-of-r2/)

How to get certified:

  • Recycling companies interested in obtaining a R2 certification must insure facility operations meet R2 standards. The current R2 checklist is available here: www.sustainableelectronics.org/s/R2-2013-Checklist-v1.pdf
  • Submit an application along with the $1,500 annual R2 Fee ($1,000 for tax-exempt organizations)
  • Once the application is sent companies are required to contact an authorized Certification Body (CB) to conduct an audit. These CBs must be accredited by the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB). There are currently only 6 CBs accredited by ANAB for R2.
  • Companies may need to demonstrate corrective actions have been taken if any issues arise during the audit.
  • After the initial audit a second audit is required to review implementation of the standards. This includes a detailed site tour and interviews with company personnel .
  • If all requirements are met during the second audit, a R2 certificate is issued. The certificate is good for 3 years with mandatory annual audits. Once the certificate expires a recertification audit is required with continuing annual audits upon recertification.


Additional R2 information and supporting documents may be found here: http://www.sustainableelectronics.org/r2-documents/

Lab equipment recycling Sunnyvale, Mountain View, San Jose, Milpitas

E-Stewards Background

The E-steward certification began as a pledge organized by the Basel Action Network (BAN) in 2003 to establish and encourage best practices for e-waste recyclers. The pledge involved no disposal in landfills or incinerators, no prison labor and no export of toxics to poor communities. Beginning in 2006 BAN expanded the pledge into the independently audited E-steward certification.


How to get certified:

  • Purchase and download the E-Stewards Standard then review the policies and guidelines.
  • Set up you Environmental Management Systems (EMS).
  • Get price quotes from the e-Stewards accredited independent certifying bodies (CBs) for each recycling facility in each country seeking certification.
  • Contract a CB and schedule audits.
  • Complete and send Revenue Verification Form (RVF) to the e-Stewards program administrator.
  • Determine annual license and marketing fees with the program administrator then pay the initiation fee.
  • Fill out the company information form on the E-steward’s website.
  • Complete stage 1 and 2 audits.
  • Send fees with signed license and marketing agreement to program administrator.
  • Continue adding additional facilities in the same country within 18 months of certification.

E-waste recycling San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Moutain View, Milpitas


With stringent qualifications and multiple audits our customers may rest assured that their electronics are recycled responsibly with both R2 and E-steward certified companies!

Excess Logic provides surplus equipment liquidation and e-waste recycling services in SF Bay Area since 2012. We provide residual value appraisal, electronic asset management, data center equipment, data destruction and hi-tech equipment such as lab, R&D, biotech, test equipment liquidation. Contact with us at 650-307-7553 or email to schedule a free e-waste pickup.

Call us today at 650-307-7553 or use the form below to request a
consultation to discuss how Excess Logic can help your company
with all of its Surplus Asset Recovery needs.

Schedule Pickup